Our Women & Girls Funds
We are committed to helping women and girls in Eastern Connecticut lead more fulfilling, productive, healthy lives.
In 1999, at the request of some of our donors and in response to community need, we established our first Women & Girls Fund to help empower women of all ages in 10 area communities in the Southeastern portion of our state. The goal of this charitable fund was to support nonprofits that help women and girls lead positive, productive lives – for themselves and within their families.
- In 2004, 2006 and 2013, we created additional Women & Girls Funds to help women in other parts of Eastern Connecticut.
- With a combined endowment of nearly $4 million, these funds continue to help women provide economic security for their families, prevent domestic violence and make positive life decisions.
Southeast Area Women & Girls Fund
- Our original fund, founded in 1999, serves women and girls in East Lyme, Groton, Ledyard, Lyme, Montville, New London, North Stonington, Old Lyme, Stonington and Waterford.
- Its 200 founding members and subsequent donors have built an endowment of $3.2 million, which includes 22 charitable funds established by individuals and organizations.
- This fund has awarded almost $1,423,438 to 283 programs since its inception.
Windham Area Women & Girls Fund
- Founded in 2004, this fund serves women and girls in Ashford, Chaplin, Columbia, Coventry, Mansfield, Scotland, Stafford, Union, Willington and Windham.
- Its 102 founding members, subsequent donors and a challenge grant from the Jeffrey P. Ossen Family Foundation have built this fund into a $435,234 permanent endowment.
- This fund has awarded more than $372,688 to more than 100 programs since its inception.
Norwich Area Women & Girls Fund
- Founded in 2006, this fund serves women and girls in Norwich, Bozrah, Colchester, Franklin, Griswold, Lebanon, Lisbon, Preston, Sprague and Voluntown.
- Its 41 founding members, subsequent donors and a challenge grant from Edward & Mary Lord Foundation have established an endowment of $136,819 to date.
- The plan is to increase the endowment to $300,000 in the next few years.
- This fund has awarded over $112,446 in grants to 31 programs since its inception.
Northeast Area Women & Girls Fund
- Our latest fund, founded in 2013, serves women and girls in Brooklyn, Canterbury, Eastford, Hampton, Killingly, Plainfield, Pomfret, Putnam, Sterling, Thompson and Woodstock.
- Its 50 founders and subsequent donors have contributed more than $81,589 towards its endowment.
- This fund awarded $58,110 in grants to 27 programs since its inception.