Our Women & Girls Funds
We are committed to helping women and girls in Eastern Connecticut lead more fulfilling, productive, healthy lives.
In 1999, at the request of some of our donors and in response to community need, we established our first Women & Girls Fund to help empower women of all ages in 11 communities in the southeastern portion of our region. The goal of this charitable fund was to support nonprofits that help women and girls pursue positive, productive lives – for themselves and their families.
- In 2004, 2006 and 2013, additional Women & Girls Funds emerged to help women in other parts of Eastern Connecticut.
- With a combined endowment of nearly $6.9 million, these funds continue to help remove barriers for women & girls, increase their economic security, enhance their well-being and safety, and empower them to make positive life decisions for themselves and their families.
Southeast Area Women & Girls Fund
- Our original fund, founded in 1999, serves women and girls in East Lyme, Groton, Ledyard, Lyme, Montville, New London, North Stonington, Old Lyme, Stonington and Waterford.
- Its 200 founding members and subsequent donors have built an endowment of over $5.7 million, which includes 28 named funds established by individuals and organizations.
- This fund has awarded 321 grants totaling $1,683,797 since its inception.
Windham Area Women & Girls Fund
- Founded in 2004, this fund serves women and girls in Ashford, Chaplin, Columbia, Coventry, Mansfield, Scotland, Stafford, Union, Willington and Windham.
- Its 102 founding members, subsequent donors and challenge grants from the Jeffrey P. Ossen Family Foundation have built this permanent endowment over $700,000, including 11 named funds.
- This fund has awarded 129 grants totaling $500,239 since its inception.
Norwich Area Women & Girls Fund
- Founded in 2006, this fund serves women and girls in Norwich, Bozrah, Colchester, Franklin, Griswold, Lebanon, Lisbon, Preston, Sprague and Voluntown.
- Its 41 founding members, subsequent donors and a challenge grant from Edward & Mary Lord Foundation have established an endowment of over $200,000 to date, which includes two named funds.
- This fund has awarded 37 grants totaling $133,946 since its inception.
Northeast Area Women & Girls Fund
- Our latest fund, founded in 2013, serves women and girls in Brooklyn, Canterbury, Eastford, Hampton, Killingly, Plainfield, Pomfret, Putnam, Sterling, Thompson and Woodstock.
- Its 50 founders and subsequent donors have built an endowment of over $250,000, which includes three named funds.
- This fund awarded 44 grants totaling $92,500 since its inception.