Welcome, Scholarship Donors
One of our top priorities is helping donors establish personally meaningful scholarship funds that create opportunities for all students to obtain a good education and rewarding careers.
"The Community Foundation's work is focused on addressing inequities in our region. Education is a powerful equalizer. We are deeply committed to empowering youth, and scholarships are a critical tool towards achieving this goal." - Maryam Elahi, Community Foundation President and CEO
Opening Doors to Educational Opportunities
When you establish a scholarship fund at the Foundation, you are investing in the future of local young people and/or non-traditional students who wish to further their education on the path to a bright, productive future. Together with our generous donors, we have helped more than 3,800 students advance their education, most of whom are from lower to middle-income families and very often, the first in their families to attend college.
More than 124 scholarship funds have been created by caring residents since the Community Foundation got started in 1983. Each year those funds award more than $750,000 in scholarships, making it easier for approximately 300 students to go to college or other post-secondary studies.
- Each scholarship fund established is as unique as the donor who created it.
- Each fund is named by the donor or donors who create it; each remains as a distinct and separate scholarship in the community; and each is wisely invested and managed to be able to award scholarships in perpetuity.
- We promote the scholarships to students, families and schools, and we manage the application process, convene committees to choose the award recipients, and send the checks to the appropriate colleges and universities.
- Donors can also choose to partner with other like-minded donors and nonprofit organizations for greater reach and impact.
- Rather than create their own fund, donors can choose to make a gift to our General Scholarship Fund or any one of our existing scholarship funds. Read more about how to Give to an Existing Fund
- We offer a professional level of fiduciary management that ensures donors’ charitable wishes are executed faithfully and philanthropic investments earn solid returns. Read more about Our Financial Accountability
- We report regularly and transparently on all investments, returns, and scholarship recipients.
Read more about setting up a Scholarship Fund at the Community Foundation of Eastern Connecticut.
If you are interested in starting a scholarship fund, we would welcome the opportunity to work with you. Please contact Alison Woods, Vice President and Chief Development Officer, or Lauren C. Parda, Senior Development Officer, for more information.
Read more about Why Donors Choose Us