About Environmental Grants
We strive to foster a greater region-wide understanding of - and promote action on - the relationship between the health of our natural world and the health and well-being of our residents. Currently, our grantmaking in this area is centered in New London County with plans to expand throughout Eastern Connecticut in the near future.
Priority will be given to programs that:
- preserve and protect environmentally significant lands, waterways and wildlife habitats – for the benefit not only of the ecosystem, but for the health, livelihood and enjoyment of local residents;
- engage youth in educational environmental activities in natural settings, to help them become good stewards of the environment; and
- make positive connections between people’s mental and physical health, and their exposure to the natural world.
What We Will Fund
These grants must be for the benefit of the residents of New London County, which includes the towns of Bozrah, Colchester, East Lyme, Franklin, Griswold, Groton, Lebanon, Ledyard, Lisbon, Lyme, Montville, New London, North Stonington, Norwich, Old Lyme, Preston, Salem, Sprague, Stonington, Voluntown and Waterford.
Preference is given to programs that are:
- collaborative in nature;
- regional in scope;
- rooted in evidence-based, solution-oriented approaches;
- serve lower-income communities;
- include specific, measurable outcomes; and
- affect positive change over the long term.
We will also consider:
- grants for multiyear programs if the applicant can demonstrate need;
- grants for existing programs, new initiatives or special projects; or
- grants for capacity-building or public policy work.*
Eligible applicants may submit grant requests of $10,000-50,000.
Please review our General Eligibility Criteria for Grants
* We recommend that grant seekers begin by contacting Jennifer O’Brien, Program Director, especially if seeking capacity-building or public policy support, at JennOB@cfect.org or 860-442-3572.
Deadlines and Notifications
- LOI applications are due by 5pm on November 1, 2017. Applicants will be informed of the committee’s decision regarding whether or not to invite a full proposal for 2017 funding in late December.
- Full proposals are due by 5pm on Monday, January 22, 2018.
- Final decisions will be made and applicants will be notified by April 2017.