We are seeking an experienced, skilled, dynamic, mission-driven applicant for the position of Communications Officer.
Comprised of 470+ charitable funds, CFECT stewards assets of over $74 million and has awarded more than $48 million in grants and scholarships to area nonprofits and students since our founding in 1983. For donors, CFECT offers a complete toolkit for charitable giving, expert assistance in learning more about the causes they care about, and the opportunity to join others with similar interests to learn and give together. For the community at large, CFECT offers a permanent, growing source of grant monies, as well as a common meeting ground and leadership on important issues in our 42-town area in eastern Connecticut. Visit us at www.cfect.org
Working closely with a current staff of 8, the Communications Officer serves as chief storyteller and plays a hands-on leadership role in creating communications strategy and content for fundraising, community engagement, and outreach programs, and utilizing both traditional and new media to convey effective public messages about the role of CFECT in putting philanthropy into action toward a healthy, thriving, sustainable Eastern Connecticut. This position reports to the President and Chief Executive Officer.
- Play a lead role in developing and executing a communications strategy and tactics designed to increase the visibility of the Foundation and its core priorities of community impact and donor/partner engagement; ensure consistency in core messaging across the organization; and support the Foundation’s mission and broad strategic goals.
- Provide communication planning and implementation for fundraising campaigns, events and grant-related initiatives. Work with Foundation staff to develop communication timelines, write remarks for events, create special invitations and/or appeal letters, printed programs, and presentations on deadline.
- Oversee website development/maintenance and manage content for the website, e- newsletter, e-mail alerts, blogs, and social media.
- Manage the development, editing, production and distribution of print materials including the Annual Report and other publications.
- Draft and edit press materials and work with local, regional and national press to maximize media coverage, where appropriate.
- Maintain news clipping files for both print and electronic media stories involving the Foundation. Maintain files of articles relevant to Foundation strategy issues. Organize and maintain catalogs of images, photos CDs, DVDs and audio files.
- Manage communications projects on schedule and within budget.
- Collaborate with staff to identify off-site engagement/outreach and awareness raising opportunities.
- Supervise consultants/contractors, volunteers, interns or other staff, as appropriate.
Qualification & Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Record of success in conceptualizing and implementing communications goals and strategies, with five to eight years of progressively responsible experience in communications, marketing or public relations.
- Extensive writing and editing experience with a variety of print and on-line communications media, additional experience in working with media outlets at the local and regional level is preferred but not required.
- Strong proficiency in current technology, including content management systems, web development, and graphic design programs.
- Excellent verbal and written skills. Must be a creative storyteller, a solid and persuasive writer, and a proficient editor.
- Demonstrated project management skills and ability to meet deadlines. Proven ability to juggle multiple priorities. Attention to detail is a must.
- Ability to contribute to a work environment in which collaboration, respect and honesty are valued. Excellent interpersonal skills are needed.
- A sense of integrity and strong work ethic seasoned with humor and perspective.
- Self-motivated with ability to make independent decisions. Track record of continuous improvement and learning, openness to new ideas, adaptability and resilience.
- A passion for, understanding of and commitment to community foundations and an optimistic view of our potential to positively impact the future in our region.
Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package, including health, dental, 403b and vacation. Will consider part-time hours for the right candidate.
E-mail cover letter and resume to Janet Grant at Janet@CFECT.org